Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Steadiness

I know I'm not perfect, but I want to be steady.

I want to be steady in my walk with the Lord.  I want to redeem every moment - whether washing the dishes or driving in the car or making dinner - and constantly be talking with God and learning about God and listening to His word and loving God.

I want to be steady in my love for my husband.  I want to be conscious of how I can respect him better.  I want to be conscious of how to be submissive in all situations.  I want to show him grace like God has shown me grace.

I want to be steady in how I raise and nurture my children.  I want to be obedient to God in the way I mother my children.  I want to love unconditionally.  I want to encourage and inspire.  I want to lead them well and teach them the things that God desires for them to know.

I want to be steady in maintaining my home.  I want to make my home a sanctuary for my family.  I want it to be a place where we can come in and be at peace.  I will be the first to admit that I am the most unorganized housewife ever - but I commit to learning and changing.

I want to be steady in keeping my body healthy.  I believe that to serve the Lord well, not only do we need to be in good shape spiritually, but our bodies need to be healthy and ready to take on whatever the Lord has planned for us.  This means committing myself to eating healthy and exercising regularly.

I want to be steady with being in community.  God is a triune God - He does not stand alone, but is in community and fellowship with the Son and the Holy Spirit.  I believe that when I am in community with other people who can encourage me and inspire me, I am at my best and strongest.  I want to make time for family and friends.

I was listening to Mark Driscoll's sermon, The Revelation of Jesus, and Pastor Mark talked about who John the apostle was.  John was one of the most loved apostles of Jesus and started following Jesus at a young age.

He was present for  many of the miracles that Jesus performed and was there at His crucifixion and resurrection.  He also lived to see all of the other apostles tortured and killed.  Yet, John was faithful in his walk with the Lord.  In an attempt to make him stop talking about Jesus, he was boiled alive.  When that didn't kill him, they exiled him and sent him to a secluded island in hopes that he would stop preaching and writing about Jesus.  It was on that island that Jesus spoke through him to write the book of Revelation.

John was a normal human being, just like you and me.  Yet, even in times of total despair and hopelessness, he remained faithful.  After he witnessed the murders of his friends; after he was boiled alive; after he was exiled to a deserted island to live out the rest of his days; after he was excommunicated from his friends, family, and church, John still faithfully loved the Lord and served Him.  There is not one recorded instance of John denying Jesus or turning away from Him.  He was steady.

I can never be perfect, but my desire is to be steady in all the things that matter to me.  I pray for strength and discipline.  I pray that reflecting on the gospel and what Jesus did for me will continue to grow my affections toward him and inspire me to live the life that He intended for me.

Redeem your time today and make it count towards all the things that are most important to you.
Have a blessed Wednesday!

"all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.  God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood - to be received by faith." Romans 3:24-25


No comments:

Post a Comment