Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter at Lake Varner

Easter is my favorite celebration of the year! Not for the cute little bunnies, yummy Easter candy, or adorable Easter outfits, but for the truth that I was dead in sin, but made alive again through the atoning sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ! Amen!! Now that is something to celebrate! (Pardon all my exclamation points! My husband has kindly pointed out to me that I overuse this punctuation way too much! But I'm just so excited! Haha)


This year for Easter, we decided to celebrate a little differently. Instead of going to Easter service like we usually do, we decided to have an intimate family Easter celebration at the lake. It just so happened that we returned to the scene of KB's near death experience, Lake Varner. A lot of you have already heard the story or seen the posts on Facebook, but my husband almost died. No joke. He was kayak fishing with a buddy on a cold and windy February day when the wind just picked up out of nowhere and tipped him over into 30 degree water. Thankfully he had his pfd (Personal Floatation Device - a kayaking term that I've learned to love and appreciate) and did not have to exert so much energy into swimming. And thank God his buddy, Rok, was there. With Rok's help, my husband made it back to shore safe and sound, only suffering from shock of what had just happened. The sad thing is that when he called to tell me, I was so nonchalant about it and was only upset about the fishing poles that had fallen and sank to the bottom of the lake. In my defense, I did not know the severity of the situation because I couldn't see how rough the water was. AND they were pretty expensive fishing poles! I was so insensitive to the fact that that could have been the last moment of my husband's life, and all I cared about was the material things that he had lost. It was a humbling experience for me.

Speaking of fishing poles, I had a dream once that Beng had done something really bad to me, and to get even, I took every single one of his poles and broke them into tiny little peices right in front of him. It felt so good...in my dream, that is. I would never do anything like that in real life. ;)
So, we were headed to good ole Lake Varner for our family Easter Celebration. We sang as loud as we could in the car and celebrated with the Hmong version of the hymn "Christ Arose." Even Sym was yelling along with us. :) We had an egg hunt for Thaniel and Sym while KB and Jon (my brother) fished. And I had put together my own Resurrection Eggs for Nathaniel to go through the story of Easter. Lunch was yummy, if I do say so myself. I packed us some goodies to grill. I have to tell you, the pork belly was OTC! One time, I was reading a Facebook post about a coconut smoothie being OTC and read it in my head as "over the counter." Haha. It's "off the chain" for you abbreviation dummies like me. ;) Here is the marinade for the pork belly:

2 T sugar
3 T fish sauce
1/4 C honey
6 scallions chopped and crushed in a mortar
2 garlic cloves crushed and minced
1 tsp black pepper

Mix all together. Taste and adjust seasoning as you like. Slice the pork belly into thin strips and marinate the pork for atleast 2 hrs, but overnight for best results.
Right before grilling, I skewered the strips onto bamboo skewers and we grilled them for a couple minutes on each side. They were SO GOOD! Please try it!! There I go with my exclamation marks again....

Sym actually understood the concept of finding the eggs and putting them into her bucket. Her big brother had to guide her the first couple of times, but once we showed her what was inside (cheerios and fruit gummies for her) she was all about getting as many eggs as she could! Overall, we had a wonderful Easter celebrating Jesus' resurrection in the midst of God's beautiful creation. I wish we could make it an annual thing for us, but it's too soon to say. Church as a family celebrating one of the most momentous occasions for us as followers of Jesus Christ. It was fantastic.






I hope you all had a wonderful Easter as well!

Happy Tuesday! :)

"So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus." Romans 6:11

No comments:

Post a Comment